/>

August 11, 2013

Flash Point by Nancy Kress

Hey everybody! Cassia here! Summer is winding down, so I'm trying to get more reviews in before fall, and trying to finish Les Mis. It's really good and I don't want it to end, but I want to finish it before fall. Enjoy the rest of the summer, and here's another review!





Flash Point by Nancy Kress


Amy is the only one who provides for her grandmother and her sister. Amy would be in school, but she can’t afford it. She can barely afford her own food now. Before, she could have done anything she wanted: gone to college, had all the clothes she could ever need. Not now, though. Now, she’s struggling to find a well-paying job with family health benefits. When she finally gets one, though, she’s not so sure she wants it anymore...



When I first heard about this book, I was sure it was going to be great. It was good, but it wasn’t great. It didn’t pull me in like others, and to me, that’s what makes a great book.

With Kress’s writing...I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it, either. It was still very good, though. Now, this job that Amy gets is on a reality TV show, called Who Knows People, Baby--You? Yeah, kind of a weird name, but it describes what the show is about: human behavior. Here’s how it works: these people from a TV channel called TLN set up these scenarios for Amy and her co-workers, and they react. Then, the American population tries to guess what they’ll do. If they guess every person’s reaction correctly, they win $5 million. If there are other winners, they split the winnings. No harm done, right?
Think again.


(Yes, I am leaving it at that to torture you. :)) The characters are okay...none that really stood out, but I liked them. Why can’t I remember any of their names? Anyway, I remember one boy I liked, I think it started with an R...Raphael? Something like that. The climax is amazing! My favorite part of the whole book. This book does a good job of showing just how far people will go for stupid things. I’m not talking about Amy, I’m talking about the TLN people. Kind of like The Hunger Games, if you will. Overall, I really liked the concept of the book and the reality TV show thing. It’s one of those creative things that make me love sci-fi.


Kress tells a story of poverty, love of family, and human behavior, tying it all up with an ending that suggests another book and will leave you wanting more.
Four stars!
Goodbye for now,
Cassia

No comments:

Post a Comment